Four Years Later

It amazes me how fast time seems to fly these days. You see four years ago this past Thursday I lost a very important person to me....my dad. The people who say that it gets easier over time must truly be out of their minds.

I will never forget getting the call on the Saturday of Martin Luther King weekend when my (so called) step mother had my Dad call me and tell me that he had been put in the hospital for some "lung" problems and he would probably be there for just a couple of days. I told him I would be up there within the next day or so to see him. I visited him on Monday and he looked REALLY good but was coughing some. He wound up staying in the hospital and was in the process of going home the next Saturday when he called and told me that he was in the process of going home when he all of sudden felt REALLY bad so they were doing more tests on him. Before I could even get to the hospital they had moved him to ICU. Now, let me feel you here that it was about 4:30PM that afternoon. Noone knew that I had slid past the nurses station to find my Dad in excurating pain and telling the doctors it just hurt really bad. When I was spotted I was escorted to the waiting room. Jason and the girls were at church at the time so I called Jason and I told him that Dad was in ALOT of pain and that they were trying to figure out what had happened. Within a 3 hour span things went crazy. They had determined that the blood thinners they had given him over the week for his other problem had made his arteries so thin that he had developed a small leak and he was bleeding internally and they didn't know what they were going to be able to do for him. By 10:45PM my dad had died, within 6 hours I had gone from seeing my dad and telling him that I loved him to stepping into his ICU room to watch his heart monitor beep that he had died. I never dreamed that my dad would die at 58 yrs old.

The funeral and visitation would take another whole post and it is so horrible that I don't want to even really go into detail, I can sum it up for you this way. The cops were called and escorted my dad's other three children from his first marriage from the funeral home and told them they were to stay away from the funeral itself. Then, my step mother and her children played the most ridiculous song at the funeral and to this day I can't listen to it on the radio....."Picture" by Kid Rock and Sheryl Crow. You all figure out where that fits in a funeral and if you can let me know.

To this day, I have nothing to do with my dad's other children and I am so glad that I don't have to see his wife and her children any more. I am so sad that Miss M and Miss L will never know who my dad/their PawPaw was and Miss K can't remember him at all. I am greatful for the memories I have and look forward to seeing him again one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment